How come this decision matter?Additional Considerations/Bottom Line
It’s important to have this decision right, because in the event that you don’t just take the SAT/ACT essay now then again later choose to connect with universities that need it, you can not make the SAT/ACT essay area by itself—you will have to retake the whole test. Also, some universities will elect not to ever consist of non-essay SAT/ACT administrations within their “super rating” calculation of one’s tests.
Making your decision, the bottom line is
Use the essay if some of the after are real:
1. There clearly was a reasonable possibility that you are going to opt to connect with universities that want the SAT/ACT essay, OR
2. There was a reasonable possibility that you are going to apply to “reach” or “match” colleges that suggest the essay, OR
Much like a lot of choices within the testing/college admissions procedure, selecting whether or not to use the SAT/ACT essay depends in your university list.
-Check out this post for fundamental help with beginning your university list.
-When you are willing to talk more about your university list, subscribe to North to My Future, your free college admissions method session.
-Finally, before you go for expert assistance with finalizing your university list, check always down our premium university admissions consulting programs.
3. You have got currently done fairly well (scores of 14+ out of 24 from the SAT or 7+ out of 12 regarding the ACT) 1 for a training SAT/ACT essay. How come we say this? It will be relatively straightforward to improve your score during the SAT/ACT prep you’re already planning to do if you’re already reasonably proficient (or better) on the SAT/ACT essay. Our SAT/ACT Prep Class include essay prep at no extra cost (for SAT/ACT Individual Prep programs, you’ve got the solution to include 60 minutes of essay instruction), and essay prep calls for a minimal time investment. For instance, inside our ACT Prep Class, we invest about 1.5 hours of course time within the essay, and during the last year, pupils whom took the essay enhanced their essay score the average of 1.8 points (regarding the 2-12 scale).
Because enhancing your essay rating is reasonably simple then take the essay to showcase your skills for colleges that fall in the “essay recommend” camp if you are already proficient in writing, you may as well briefly prepare for and.
Have to look at your essay abilities? Our free practice SAT and ACT tests include an essay rating and rubric.
Give consideration to skipping the essay if most of the following are real:
1. You realize with reasonable certainty that you’ll never be signing up to a universities that need the essay that is SAT/ACT AND
2. You scored unhealthy (under 14 away from 24 in the SAT or under 7 away from 12 from the ACT) for a training SAT/ACT essay, showing maybe it’s more challenging to boost your rating as a competitive range. (Note: if you’re using the SAT/ACT Prep Class, where essay prep is roofed when you look at the course, we suggest doing essay prep anyhow to see where your rating falls by Practice Test 2.)
Great things about Taking the Essay
-The essay is a chance to show proficiency on paper. It is a simple way to offer your admissions profile a good start (albeit a small one), particularly when you want to showcase your skills in writing to help compensate for lower grades in English classes if you’re already good at writing, or.
-Compared to your remaining portion of the SAT/ACT, finding your way through the essay frequently calls for only a little time investment to attain significant enhancement (see just what we penned above).
-If you are taking the essay and attain a score that is reasonable you’ll not need to worry about the essay requirement/recommendation as you finalize your university list.
Downsides of Taking the Essay
-Taking the essay will need an extra 40-50 moments of your energy on test time, plus, in the event that you prep with Frontier Tutoring, a few hours of devoted preparation time. Registering for the official SAT/ACT essay additionally costs a supplementary $14 – $17.
-It’s theoretically possible that you may perform really badly from the essay on test day. Nevertheless, presuming you prepare in advance, this result is unlikely—generally, you need to expect to score in the range that is same your most recent training test suggests. Furthermore, it is often recognized that the essay has questionable validity that is predictive therefore scoring somewhat below your target rating from the essay is not likely to be materially harmful for admissions purposes. Finally, you have got more to get than you need to lose by finding your way through and using the essay.
Main Point Here
If there’s a reasonable chance you’ll be applying to universities that require or recommend the SAT/ACT essay, go on and go. Similar to items that want to do with university admissions, which means the point that is starting this choice is developing a preliminary college list—it’s as easy and also as complicated as that. The good news is on your journey that we have plenty of resources to help you. Below is a listing of the resources we’ve talked about in this article to truly get you started. As constantly, please please feel free to e mail us with questions regarding your own personal situation.
North to My Future (free university admissions session that is strategy
The Frontier 49 (GPA and SAT/ACT norms for admitted candidates at 49 popular universities)
Colleges That Need the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of September 6, 2018; verify all universities in your list before you make your choice
Soka University of America
U.S. Military Academy (West Point)
University of California (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, l . a ., Merced, Riverside, North Park, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz)
University of Delaware
University of Miami
Colleges That Suggest the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of 6, 2018; verify all colleges on your list before making your decision september
Abilene Christian University
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
SUNY Stony Brook
1 they are the approximate average that is national for the SAT/ACT essay parts. Source: CollegeBoard and ACT, Inc. 2017 National Reports. Whilst it is perhaps perhaps perhaps not simple to find out essay that is median for admitted pupils (as opposed to determining median overall SAT/ACT scores for admitted students), particular schools (for instance the University of Ca system) do get this information public. We do not suggest spending significant amount of time in determining a precise target rating for the essay it self; the greater amount of significant choice is whether or otherwise not to go on it, and then preparing sufficiently to achieve a respectable score if you are taking it.